CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where is my zucchini? Or, why I hate squirrels.


I want to inflict some serious harm on these little buggers. We have an ongoing battle at our house with them. The last few years in October, I put our carved pumpkins out a few days before Halloween and they would gnaw the faces off within hours. Why? I don't know. Last year I put our pumpkins out the day before Halloween and put clear fingernail polish over most of the pumpkin. Results? Only one little nibble.
Last summer, I planted in my garden for the first time zucchini, pumpkins, corn and edible sunflowers. As we watched our plants grow, I noticed on each of the zucchini plants and the pumpkins there would be a small spot that had been nibbled. That's it. They didn't even have the decency to take the whole plant. I wouldn't have even dreamed of eating them after a squirrel had nibbled on it. All I could think of was rabies (I know I'm paranoid). It made me so mad to see our hard work wasted. As the time came close to harvest our corn (which looked beautiful), I had the joy of watching the squirrels climb the stalks and have themselves a feast! I would yell at them from the deck of our house, chase them and throw various items in their general direction (I promise no squirrels were harmed!) Then the sunflowers...same thing. Oh, the pain I suffered.
Fast forward to this summer. No corn, no pumpkins (the plants died), only unedible sunflowers, but I couldn't resist trying to grow zucchini again. The thoughts of stir-fried zucchini, zucchini bread, raw zucchini, grilled zucchini - it called to me. I had to have it. Well the little buggers tried a new line of attack to throw me off. They dug up ALL of my green bean plants. WHY? I have not a clue. They just dug them up and left them where they were. Grrr.
So, back to the zucchini. Same approach as last year, a little nibble here, a little nibble there. I am "supposed" to be overflowing with zucchini right now. I am "supposed" to have more zucchini that I know what to do with. I am "supposed" to be trying to pawn it off on unsuspecting strangers.

Harvested zucchini count for the summer - 0.

It's too much for me to handle.

It's war.

4 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Apparently they ate my zucchini, too, because I would have love to have been one of your "unsuspecting strangers."

Ice Cream said...

I weep for the lost zucchini. Have you tried sprinkling cayenne pepper all over and around your zucchini? I hear that burns the squirrels' noses and makes them never want to come back.

Jessica said...

Hey, good to see you blogging. Laura got me hooked. Sorry about your squirrel problems! How are you feeling?

RORYJEAN said...

If it makes you feel any better, squirrels can't carry rabies (I learned this after one bit me). So, you should be safe eating nibbled on zuchini.